Third Party Representatives' Same Day Service

Instead of submitting an application by post to the Home Office and waiting for a decision why not consider using the third party representatives' same day service.

We are registered as third party representatives to provide same day service with the UKVI, premium services centres in:
Croydon, Solihull, Liverpool, London, Sheffield, Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast.

As part of this service we can submit an application and in most cases get a result within a day.
The third party representative services are very popular and we would encourage you to contact us as early as possible to avoid disappointment.

It is possible to submit applications for permission to extend your stay (known as 'limited leave to remain') or to settle permanently (known as 'indefinite leave to remain') in the UK,

You can check if you are eligible to use this service via the following link:

Public enquiry offices accept applications for permission to extend your stay (known as 'limited leave to remain') or to settle permanently (known as 'indefinite leave to remain') in the UK, in the categories below:

  • Applications for settlement or extension of stay


  • Husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner - forms FLR(M), SET(M), FLR(FP) and SET(O)
  • Children - forms FLR(FP), SET(O) and SET(F) (only if the child entered the UK with the correct entry clearance)
  • Visitor - form FLR(FP) (for medical visitors, academic visitors and parents accompanying children under 12 years of age who are receiving private education in the UK)
  • Transfer of conditions into a new passport forms NTL (for transferring indefinite leave to remain) and TOC (for transferring temporary permission to stay)

Points-Based System

  • Tier 1 (General) extension
  • Tier 1 (Investor) Initial and extension (Under super premium service only, at PEO Croydon)
  • Tier 2 (General)
  • Tier 2 (Intra company transfer)
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion)
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
  • Tier 4 (General)
  • Tier 4 (Child)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - creative and sporting)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - charity worker)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - religious worker)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - government authorised exchange)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - international agreement)
  • Dependents of migrants under the points-based system - form PBS (Dependant)

Work Outside the Points-Based System and Settlement

  • Domestic worker in a private household - forms FLR(FP) and SET(O)
  • Offshore worker - form FLR(FP)
  • Work permit applications - form FLR(IED) and SET(O)
  • Tier 1 (General) - SET(O)
  • Tier 2 - SET(O)
  • UK ancestry - forms FLR(FP) and SET(O)

Medical Studies

  • Postgraduate doctor or dentist - form FLR(FP)
  • Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test - form FLR(FP)
  • Clinical attachment - form FLR(FP)

You can't use the premium service if you're applying under Tier 1 (Investor).

You can't use the premium or super premium service if you're:

a business person, innovator, sole representative or investor a Turkish business person a self-employed lawyer applying under Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) applying under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) applying for Stage 1 endorsement under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) a seaman a Gurkha a retired person of independent means an elderly dependant still in the armed forces and exempt from immigration rules and requirements someone whose case is complex because of personal circumstances someone whose case isn't covered by the Immigration Rules sponsored by a member of staff at a premium service centre applying for a Home Office travel document applying for naturalisation or registration as a UK national applying as a victim of domestic violence applying for an European Economic Area (EEA) residence card or permanent residence card applying for an EEA registration certificate as an unmarried partner applying for an EEA registration certificate and you're not a qualified person applying for proof of a right of abode You also can't use the premium or super premium service if you're applying for discretionary leave to remain or humanitarian protection unless:

you're applying under the transitional arrangements to extend your discretionary leave after 3 years you're applying to settle in the UK after 6 years discretionary leave Applying for registration certificates EEA nationals

If you're an EEA national you can't include your family in your application. They must apply separately by post as an EEA family member or an EEA extended family member.

Croatian nationals

If you're a Croatian national, you can only include your EEA family in your application if they're your:

spouse or civil partner
child or grandchild aged under 21
Family who aren't EEA nationals, other relatives and unmarried partners must apply by post as non-EEA family of a Croatian national.

Applying to settle if you've spent time in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man You can't apply in person if you're applying for settlement in one of the categories below, and your continuous residence period includes time spent in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.